March 27, 2012

La La Love Lemon in the Sunshine!

I LOVE lemon! I LOVE poppyseed and I ADORE Lemon Poppyseed cakes - which completely amazes me that I have never until today ever made one - lemon drizzle, lemon tart, lemon meringue, lemon curd - yes I have done it all but never with the glorious flavoured seeds. Come to think of it apart from baking in my childhood, I don't remember baking with poppy seeds - strange as I do love them so (did I say that already!!?!!)

It is always extra special eating treats that you don't normally get but as I haven't baked in days (yes I think something was wrong) I had to make that special treat just for me! It also seemed the perfect recipe to use in my lovely Pampered Chef Floral cupcake pan which was a lovely present from my Pampered Chef Sister!


Preheat your fan oven to 170C (350F) & generously grease your silicone moulds or spray with non stick spray (even when you think you have done enough - make sure or else you will find out the hard way as I did when they stick to the mould - boo hoo) ; or prepare your muffin tins with paper cases. Then prepare your buttermilk*

You will need:
230g (1.5cups)  plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
125g (0.5cups) unsalted butter at room temp
230g (1.5cups) caster sugar
2 large eggs at room temp
zest and juice of one very large lemon (or 1.5smaller ones)
1tsp vanilla paste (extract will do)
125ml (0.5cup) buttermilk *or mix same amount of milk with 1tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar & leave to sit for 5minutes
50g (0.5cup) poppy seeds

Sift the flour, soda, power & salt into a small bowl.

In a freestanding mixer (electric hand mixer will work too!) beat the butter & sugar together well using paddle/beaters (not whisk). To get lightest, fluffiest cake results, beat for at least 5 minutes.

Slowly add in the eggs one at a time (if mixture curdles it is because the eggs and butter were not at room temperature)

Once the eggs have been completely combined, add in the lemon zest, juice & vanilla (for this batch I added a bit of Lemon Yellow colour paste because I am making flowers).

Add half of the milk and half of the flour and beat well. Then add the remaining milk and flour ensuring all is mixed (don't over mix though).

Stir in the lovely poppy seeds and then fill your cupcake moulds or cases 3/4 full and pop in the oven for about 25minutes.

Note - Once they come out of the oven leave them to cool completely - give it 15-20min or longer if you can before you turn them out of the mould or else they will stick stick stick to the tray and not look pretty (sadly like mine ended up and well - I don't even have any pix now to share as my laptop went kaboom with my pix on them :(

To finish dust with icing sugar or drizzle some lemon juice mixed with icing sugar over top. Yum Yum Yum

The sun is out and the days are bright - get yourself a baking and send me your delights!


No comments:

Post a Comment